Chances are if the ex-spouse you are supporting has entered into a new relationship and is “cohabitating,” he or she probably has been employing some pretty good hiding tactics. In the meantime, you are still stuck footing the bill for their lifestyle.
Your Best Tool to Prove Cohabitation = Smartphone
Luckily, chances are you already have the best tool needed for proving your ex-spouse’scohabitating ways. A smartphone is able to record important data called geolocation data.
Geolocation Data is Weapon for Proving Cohabitation
Geolocation data describes in fairly specific terms where you’ve been, how long you were there, and where you went next. Knowing this helpful tip, as well as the ones below, might just help you support your claim that you former spouse is cohabiting.
1. Detach yourself and check any emotions that can cloud your thinking and judgment. Conclusions reached when you’re in an emotional state may be (and most likely are) inaccurate.
2. Document everything – times, dates, details, conversations, and places that you can then use to cross-check and validate the geolocation data.
3. Educate yourself about wireless technology so you can understand what the data is showing you. You can research on the internet or ask an expert that can help shepherd you and your attorney through the process of getting the correct data.
4. Select an attorney that won’t fight you on using geolocation data. Some attorneys might be hesitant. Additionally, laws on discovery and privacy vary from state to state, so be sure you are familiar with your state’s laws.
5. Know the strength of your case and be prepared that the geolocation data might prove that your ex-spouse wasn’t cohabitating.
6. Be patient and don’t get discouraged.
Legal Advice if Proving Cohabitation
Lastly, it should be encouraged that you consult your licensed attorney before taking any actions that might impact your legal rights.
For advice on cohabitation and divorce and all it’s aspects, you need the expert law firm of Korol and Velen, certified family law specialists. Schedule a consultation today.
Law Offices of Korol and Velen, Certified Family Law Specialists