It’s not an uncommon trend: a marriage that ends in divorce just months later.
And while it’s not unusual, you can’t help but ask, “what happened?”
Turns out there are numerous reasons for why some marriages wind up in divorce in the first year.
Putting a Marriage Band-aid on a Broken Relationship
According to Terri Orbuch, therapist and author of the book Finding Love Again: 6 Simple Steps to a New and Happy Relationship, these short-marriages can be attributed to the fact that some couples assume things will “improve” once they’re wed.
“They think, once things settle down, once he gets a job or we live together, things will change. He will not do this or that. She will be different,” Orbuch said. “They assume the problems they’re having are a result of them not living together, the stress of planning a wedding, or not being settled or fully committed yet, when it’s the core relationship between the two people that’s the problem.” She goes on to explain that, “They just might be incompatible. When it dawns on them, that’s when you see couples divorce.”
Reddit recently took on this topic: why marriages end in divorce just a few months later. Here are the main reasons cited in the discussion:
- Spouse became a different person – stopped contributing to rent and other household duties, and then stopped coming home to instead hand out with friends, started drinking heavily and doing drugs.
- Issues regarding getting pregnant
- Underlying incompatibility that was there prior to the marriage
- Too young to understand each other’s needs and wants
- Loss of job
- Debt – pre-existing and debt incurred after marriage
Divorce and Attorneys
Whatever your reason is for seeking divorce, you’ll want to work with a divorce attorney that can provide you with advice regarding the process, paperwork, and any other aspects of a marriage such as child custody and property division.
Source: The Huffington Post, 10 Reasons People Divorce After Less Than A Year Of Marriage, January 21, 2015