Committed to Protecting Your Interests Modifications

Los Angeles Modifications Attorneys 

Tailoring Agreements to Your Needs

It's not uncommon for court orders to fall out of date with time. When individuals with court orders experience a substantial change in circumstances or certain life events occur, they may be able to modify an order, ensuring that any orders they're involved with accurately reflect their situation.

At the Law Offices of Korol & Velen, our Los Angeles order modification lawyers can help you navigate the complexities of legal modifications. Reach out for a consultation to discuss your case today. 

Types of Legal Modifications

Generally, people pursue one of three kinds of order modifications:

  • A spousal support modification, which changes the amount of spousal support they receive or pay;
  • A child support modification, which changes the amount of child support they receive or pay; or
  • A child custody modification, which may change the rights of the parents and how much time they spend with the child.

To file for an order modification, one of the parties involved in the case must experience a "substantial change in circumstances" that would justify the modification of the order in question.

Common Reasons for Seeking Order Modifications

Some common examples of reasons to file for an order modification include:

  • One party involved in the order loses their job or experiences financial difficulties that prevent them from paying support;
  • One party receives a financial windfall that no longer makes support necessary or could enable them to pay for more support;
  • In custody modification cases, one parent represents a danger to the child in the custody case, justifying the need to modify the order;
  • A parent, child, or party develops a medical condition that renders them unable to comply with the current terms of their court order;
  • In custody cases, changing the custody order would help the child thrive or serve their best interests.

The primary difference between spousal support modification cases and child support or custody modification cases is the court's priority. In any case involving children, the court will always prioritize the child's best interests over those of the parent, whereas in spousal support modification cases, the court may focus entirely on the adults involved in the order (although child support orders can play a role in spousal support payments).

To file for an order modification, you'll need to file an FL-300 Request for Order form with your county court, and serve the request for modification to the other party.

If you agree on terms for the modification, you may be able to present the court with an agreement stating those terms.

Otherwise, you may have to attend a hearing with the other party, at which point the court will receive evidence from the individuals involved in the case and make a determination about whether changing the order is necessary.

At the Law Offices of Korol & Velen, our Los Angeles modification lawyers are here to help you pursue the best outcome in your order modification case. Contact us online or via phone at (818) 962-4669 to schedule a consultation with our team. 

Request Your Consultation
Contact Us Today

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy
  • Uptick in Gray Divorce
    • Divorce
    Read Blog
  • Divorce and Mental Health: Self-Care Strategies for Coping with Emotional Stress
    • Divorce
    Read Blog
  • California's Family Court System: What to Expect and How to Prepare
    • Family Law
    Read Blog
  • What Are Benefits of Getting a Divorce?
    Read Blog
  • How Cheating Can Impact Your Divorce in California
    • Divorce
    Read Blog
  • What to Do When Your Ex Won't Pay Child Support in California
    Read Blog