What to Do When Your Ex Won't Pay Child Support in California

Child support is a crucial aspect of raising a child, but what happens when your ex-partner refuses to pay? This can be a frustrating and stressful situation, but there are steps you can take to ensure that your child receives the financial support they deserve. Here are some tips on what to do when your ex won't pay child support in California.

1. Contact the Child Support Agency

The first step is to contact the local child support agency in your county. They can help you enforce the child support order and collect the payments. The agency can also assist you in modifying the order if there have been changes in your circumstances, such as a job loss or a change in custody.

2. File a Motion for Contempt

If your ex still refuses to pay, you can file a motion for contempt with the court. This legal action can result in your ex being held in contempt of court and facing penalties such as fines or even jail time. It is important to have a family law attorney represent you in this process to ensure that your rights are protected.

3. Seek Wage Garnishment

Another option is to seek wage garnishment, which is a court order that requires your ex's employer to deduct child support payments directly from their paycheck. This can be an effective way to ensure that you receive the payments you are owed.

4. Consider a Child Support Lien

If your ex owns property, such as a home or car, you may be able to place a child support lien on their assets. This can prevent them from selling or transferring the property until the child support debt is paid.

5. Hire a Family Law Attorney

Dealing with a non-paying ex can be overwhelming, but you don't have to go through it alone. Hiring an experienced family law attorney can help you navigate the legal system and ensure that your child's best interests are protected.

In conclusion, if your ex won't pay child support in California, there are steps you can take to enforce the order and collect the payments. At Law Offices of Korol & Velen, we understand the importance of child support and are here to help you through this difficult situation. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.