Divorce brings up a lot of emotions like fear and anger. But what’s most surprising is the stuff that you don’t expect from going through the divorce process. Here are some things you’d never expect – from someone who’s on the “other side.”
The Unknowns of Divorce
Here are some things you might not expect from your divorce:
- Even if you’re the one who initiated the divorce, it’s still totally normal to be sad about it or to feel remorse, fear, or anxiety. You’re starting a new life and you’ll need to learn how to be happy on your own.
- Just because you’re divorced, that doesn’t mean that your problems disappear. You’ll still need to deal with your ex-spouse. This is especially true of there are kids involved.
- This is a big transition for you, but it’s also a big one for your kids. They might react in ways you don’t expect – they might even be overjoyed with the new situation – or they might not be. Either way, you’ll need to keep the lines of communication open.
- You might lose friends you expected to be there. You might gain some – sometimes people you never would have expected step forward to support you through the tough times.
- Holidays might be harder than you expect. A whole group of emotions can be brought forward. Accept them, and then move forward and create new traditions and new memories.
Divorce is a difficult process. Working with a divorce attorney can help make the process a little easier, especially when it comes to ironing out child custody and visitation, spousal support, and property division.
Source: Today Health, 10 things I wish I’d known before getting divorced, January 29, 2015